Nail Hair is one of our most popular methods and offers long-lasting results - up to three months! This method attaches with wax and is available in over 50 different shades. Here you can read all about how it works. We also provide you with care and styling tips on how to take care of your new hair extensions.
What are Nail Hair extensions?
Rapunzel’s Nail Hair strands have small bonds that are attached close to your scalp. The bonds are warmed and attached to your own hair using a hot iron. The extensions, which are made of synthetic ingredients, are pre-attached to the bonds which look like small finger nails and melt when they reach the right temperature. The nail strand which weighs up to 1g is then attached around a thin strand of your own hair by rolling the soft bond in your fingers and left to harden. The small bonds come in the same shade as your hair extensions and are almost invisible to the eye. The Nail Hair method is excellent for hair lengthening, thickening or for creating colour effects and is made of real hair so it can be cut and styled as you wish. This, together with the great quality of the hair, means that it feels and looks just like your own hair and gives a very natural look.
Straight or Curly Nail Hair?
Depending on whether you have straight or curly hair there are options for both types in Nail Hair extensions. Straight Nail Hair or Curly Nail Hair. Straight extensions often have a slight wave to them after washing and have gone through fewer treatment stages than curly hair. Often it has only been coloured or bleached. Curly extensions have been permed to achieve their shape, which means that they keep their shape even after washing. All our real hair extensions can be curled, straightened or styled to achieve the look you want.
How to attach your Nail Hair – Positioning
When doing a hair extension, we normally recommend using 4-7 packs depending upon how thick your hair is to begin with. If you want to thicken your hair using Nail Hair then we recommend 1-3 packs. This also depends upon how much hair you had previously and how thick you want your hair to be.
1. With a smaller amount of hair extensions (approx. 20-60 g) you place the strands in three sections with the first section level with the top of your ear. Work then upwards until you have the desired result.
2. For a standard hair thickening with approximately 70-120 gram of hair extensions you place the strands in three sections with the first section level with the top of your ear. Then place two more sections of strands on either side of your head. Place these at the same height as the top section in a slightly diagonal direction going upwards and slightly forwards in front of the ear.
3. If you want very thick hair and use 120g or more of extensions then we recommend that you place the strands in five sections with the first section beginning level with the bottom of your ear. After that, place a further three sections on each side of the head starting level with the top section and in a slightly diagonal direction going upwards and slightly forwards in front of the ear.
If you would like extensions as colour effects or to mix colours, then the best idea is to attach a colour that is most similar to your roots colour as the top row. By doing this your bonds will be less visible.
Removing Nail Hair extensions
Upon removing Nail Hair extensions please use remover and Nail Hair remover pliers. Section the hair just as you did when attaching the extensions and remove the extensions row by row, strand by strand. Apply remover on the bond. Use the pliers to break down and loosen the bond. Apply more remover if required and then gently pull out the extension strand. If you feel that it is still firmly stuck in place then apply more remover, loosen up the bond with the pliers and pull gently again. Carefully comb out any remains of the bond with a tail comb.
Wash your extensions - Nail Hair extensions
- Start by gently separating your hair with your fingers and brush through it whilst it is dry. Rinse with lukewarm water and apply shampoo. Massage the shampoo in using your fingertips in downwards movements. Rinse thoroughly and carefully squeeze out the water.
- Use reconstruction treatment 1-3 times a week. After washing, apply plenty of reconstruction treatment on the lengths and ends. (Avoid conditioner and reconstruction treatment getting on the bonds as it can cause the bonds to slip out). Leave for 3-10 mins. Rinse with lukewarm water, gently squeeze out the water and apply conditioner to the lengths and ends. Rinse thoroughly again and squeeze gently with a towel.
- For the best results and minimum wear, let your hair dry naturally and then brush through.
Many refer to Nail Hair as Keratin extensions or extensions with keratin. Rapunzel’s Nail Hair bonds however, do not contain keratin. Keratin is a sulphurous protein which is the base of, amongst other things, hair, nails and horns. All real hair therefore contains a certain amount of the keratin protein just as does real hair in extensions. Keratin can also be found in wax and therefore also in some types of bonds. Keratin in wax is originally very hard and is often produced from animal products such as horns. The amount of keratin in bonds is generally speaking very low. Rapunzel uses synthetic ingredients – not keratin wax in our bonds. The bonds are instead developed to be both effective and gentle to attach and remove using remover and the special Nail Hair pliers.