To take care of your hair the right way is the key to keep your hairstyle fresh and vibrant. Here, we have collected our recommendations concerning how to take care of your hair the best way, so that it lasts as long as possible.
OUR 10 MOST IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS
Here, you can find our 10 principal care instructions which should always be followed to take care of your hair. We strongly recommend to even follow the advice that you find further down.
- Give your hair extra moisture and nutrition. Use Rapunzel of Sweden’s hair care series as your basic hair products and use moisturising styling products regularly.
- Styling is the key! Style your extensions for the best result.
- Detangle your hair and the attachments daily. Detangle your lengths at least twice a day.
- Braid permanently installed hair extensions before sleeping or exercising to minimise tangles and strain on your hair.
- Never sleep with wet hair.
- Avoid styling your hair with more than 180°C and always use heat protection before styling your hair with heat.
- Do not wash your hair too often. Wash permanently installed hair extensions max. 2-3 times a week and temporary hair extensions only when necessary.
- When you wash your hair, wash it with shampoo twice, always use a conditioner afterwards and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Always dry the attachments of permanently installed hair extensions with a hair dryer set on low heat after washing the hair.
- Avoid swimming and bathing with open hair, we recommend using a bathing cap.
- We recommend Rapunzel of Sweden’s hair care products as they were specifically designed for hair extensions. The products are moisturising, gentle and contain all the nutrition that your extensions need to last as long as possible. Rapunzel’s hair care are sulphate- and paraben-free, which is especially important for extensions. You can also use the shampoos to wash our tape-on hair extensions with – other shampoos can contain a lot of oil or other ingredients which can affect the tape’s durability.
- For a blend which looks as natural as possible, cut your extensions at the hairdresser’s.
- Detangle your hair with the right tools, the right way.
Straight hair: Use a detangling brush to untangle knots. We recommend using Rapunzel’s detangling brush. When you brush your hair, start at the tops and work your way up. Never brush a wet hair. For extra shine after the styling, you can additionally use a boar bristle brush. If you styled your hair using heat, let it cool down before brushing it. This way, it will keep its shape better.
Curly hair: To keep the shape of the curls, we recommend only using a wide-tooth comb and your fingers to detangle curly hair. Comb through the hair before washing and detangle your hair daily by sliding your fingers through it.
The following applies for permanently installed hair extensions:
- Please wait for 48 hours after installing tape-on extensions or Nail Hair before washing your hair. Do not wait too long either as the naturally occurring oils from the scalp can influence the tape’s stickiness in a negative way.
- Brush/comb your hair always before washing it.
- Avoid washing your hair upside down, as this can weigh down the attachments.
- Wash your extensions, the scalp, and the hair around the attachments thoroughly without rubbing the hair.
- Avoid conditioner, hair treatment or similar product coming onto or in between the hair attachments. Only apply these products in the lengths.
- Use a hair treatment once or twice a week. Apply it onto towel-dry hair after shampooing, and allow for it to work for at least 7-10 minutes. Rinse it off and finish wih a conditioner. Use a leave-in spray or hair oil regularly but avoid the attachments.
- If necessary, have the tips cut, as even extensions can become worn.
- Sleep with dry hair. A wet or damp hair is more sensitive than dry hair. Sleeping with wet hair can damage it.
Straight hair: Dry the attachments with a hair dryer set on a very low temperature. Dry the rest of your hair afterwards. Always use heat protection!
Curly hair: First, dry the attachments with a hair dryer set on a very low temperature, then let the rest air-dry if possible. If you need to dry the hair with a hair dryer, we recommend using a diffuser. Always use heat protection! Please take in mind that curly hair needs extra much moisture. Apply a leave-in spray or a softening cream before drying the hair. Avoid styling the hair with hair straighteners or similar heat styling tools, as the hair is permed and can be damaged by them.
For temporary hair extensions, the following applies:
- Only wash your temporary hair extensions when necessary, so that they last as long as possible. Use a hair treatment during every wash and always finish with a conditioner.
- Brush/comb through the hair before washing it. Wash the extensions in the sink and avoid rubbing motions.
- Let the hair air-dry after washing it. Always use heat protection before styling it with heat (please observe that we do not recommend styling curly or wavy hair extensions with heat).
Always follow our recommendations for products, care, attachment, and removal. Please have a look at our tutorials for more information.